Weekend Warrior Series: New Zealand South Island



New Zealand for a weekend??  Yes. You did read that correctly. This is not the epic South Island road trip but there is still plenty to see and do in a short amount of time. So here are the 10 things I learnt spending 53 hours in New Zealand.

Travel Time: 3 hour flight from Sydney to Christchurch
Highlights: Akaroa, Banks Peninsula, Rakaia Gorge
Distance Covered: 500km round trip driving Christchurch and the surrounds
If you have more time: Where do I start? The South Island of New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places, there are endless possibilities for road trips and things to see.
_

1. Don’t blame it on the weatherman. But actually do because they just can’t seem to predict the weather here correctly. Sunshine predicted? Expect rain and fog. Warm temperatures? Expect highs of 14 degrees and a bitter Southerly. And despite it being springtime, the one jumper I brought did not suffice as adequately warm clothing.


2. If you want a beer carry your passport. I learnt the hard way that foreign licences are not accepted as a legitimate form of ID – I tried twice. UK licence? Nope. Aussie one? No dice. I even did the whole I want to speak to the manager thing. But apparently rules are rules and if you’re lucky to look under 30 (yes seriously) better take your passport to the pub. And the bottleshop.

3. There are no small cars in New Zealand. I booked a Corolla but was given a Pathfinder….go figure. Not helpful for someone who can’t parallel park at the best of times. However, the Pathfinder did come in useful because….

4. All roads lead to dirt. So there I was, happily following google maps along a road when suddenly I am driving through a farmer’s field. And I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because I got lost. It happened a few times. Maybe bitumen has gone out of fashion in NZ. Anyway, the Pathfinder handled the boggy terrain excellently and I only splattered 1 cow pat on the underside of the car.


5. A skim flat white is called a trim flat white but apparently you can still get skim milk in New Zealand but it’s not the same as trim milk which is the equivalent of Australian skim milk. Confused? Me too.

6. I’m still not sure if I approve of the whole not wearing shoes thing. Barefoot life is a real thing here. Maybe it’s still a hangover from having grown up in London but if you ask me walking down the highstreet and doing your supermarket shopping with no shoes on is just asking for trouble.

7. There are no snakes in New Zealand so you can merrily run barefoot through long grasses without fear of being bitten. (p.s. wilderness barefoot action is acceptable).


8. New Zealand is the best place to live your Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music fantasy (don’t pretend like it’s just me). There are wildflowers and bright yellow gorse everywhere and the hills are truly alive.


9. It always takes longer to drive somewhere than you think. The roads are windy and you will get stuck behind a tractor.

10. The photos weren’t lying. It is actually that beautiful.


Comments

Popular Posts